Oct, 13
Karla Rauch

About the Author Karla Rauch

Karla Rauch is a mother of two adorable boys, Emmett and Ethan, and wife to Michael. Karla and her husband founded Emmett’s Fight, an organization to educate families about the dangers of button batteries. When she’s not raising awareness of button battery ingestion, (or managing the schedules of two boys!) she blogs at http://www.emmettsfight.blogspot.com/


  1. I just wanted to say you r in my prayers-my husband has a trache and feeding tube due to throat cancer. I can’t imagine a youngster and kuddos to you for insisting on finding out what was wrong. We painted at Childrens Hospital for several years and they are fantastic-I am sharing your sons’ story to give a heads up to other parents as a warning. God Bless you !!

    Debbie Heyne - October 3, 2013 at 7:40 pm Reply
  2. This is a remarkable story but for your vigilance Lord knows if he would be alive today – I am 91 years old and I hope he has a long fun-filled life. Keep us posted on the next surgery and tell Emmett we here in L A are praying for him and also praising his bravery for what he has gone through – with his whole family LUV – Ellie

    Eleanor Donoghue - October 4, 2013 at 5:40 pm Reply
  3. Dear Karla,

    By odd coincidence, my husband and I had JUST changed out the two button batteries in our dog’s bark collar this morning. As soon as I read your story, I found them on the counter, taped them together, and put them in the recycling basket. THANK YOU for spreading this awareness, and I send you and your courageous family MANY blessings on your journey!!


    Kimberly Thomas - October 4, 2013 at 6:23 pm Reply
  4. I’ve been following Emmett’s story for quite awhile. My cousin Kathy S. had posted it and lil Emmett has been in my prayers every night. I also told my 3 Grandkids to never ever put anything into your mouth. I also try to tell every parent I run into about your horrible ordeal. God Bless You and Your Family and you Wonderful Doctors. A 70 yrs old Grandma.<3

    Madeline A Albach - October 4, 2013 at 8:30 pm Reply
  5. What a wonderful outcome to such a devastating problem. You have made so many people aware of the things that children can ingest and the damage that they can do. Many heartfelt blessings to you and your family, especially Emmett. Since I’m a resident in the Cincinnati area, I am very familiar with Children’s Hospital and all of the great things that the doctors and nurses undertake. My grandson who has many food allergies and is 12 years of age just spent 3 days there. Congratulations on having such a supportive and wonderful family. Prayers for a successful future of recovery.

    Claudia Poore - October 5, 2013 at 12:39 am Reply
  6. Please tell me that you’re heading to keep this up! Its so great and so important. I cant wait to read a lot more from you. I just feel like you know so substantially and know how to make people listen to what you might have to say. This blog is just too cool to become missed. Terrific stuff, genuinely. Please, PLEASE keep it up!

    Emergency Exchange Remote Support - December 14, 2013 at 2:18 pm Reply
  7. By far essentially the most succinct and also up-to-date information I found about this topic matter. Certain pleased that I stumbled upon your write-up by opportunity. I will likely be signing up on your rss feed so as I’ll receive the newest posts. Enjoy everything right here.

    Emergency Exchange Support - January 1, 2014 at 2:03 am Reply
  8. Thank you for sharing this story. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers!!

    Rod Howard - January 15, 2014 at 9:24 pm Reply
  9. Wow! What a story. I’m so happy that things are going well for Emmett. Very strange that this story showed up on my FB page the very next day after I removed button batteries from some of our grandchildren’s toys. Our four month old niece was coming to spend the day & I still have all of our grand daughter’s toys that are still like brand new with the exception of needing new batteries. Every toy that I opened has button batteries in it. Although they do have a secure cover with a screw that has to be removed to get to the batteries, if they are so dangerous for children then why are they used in most of the children’s toys? This definitely has been a good learning lesson & I thank you for sharing you story. Good luck to Emmett on his future healing.

    Janet Hammond - January 16, 2014 at 11:35 am Reply
  10. Thank you so much for being so brave and sharing your story. I’m certain you have helped other children and made us all aware. I have shared your story with many and we all were unaware of the dangers of button batteries. I will keep your family in my prayers.

    Michelle - January 16, 2014 at 1:17 pm Reply
  11. Thank you for sharing your story. What a precious little boy you have!

    Amy - January 17, 2014 at 11:08 pm Reply
  12. My daughter almost died from a button battery lodged above the stomach pressed up against the aorta. The emergency room workers didn’t even know the damage a battery like this within two hours. I feel so lucky my daughter Abigail even survived this ordeal. I thought I was the only parent to go through something like this. It breaks my heart to see so many children have suffered like Abby. When are they going to stop putting these batteries in our children’s toys????

    Tina Evancho - February 5, 2015 at 1:53 pm Reply
  13. […] traveled a long road to get here. You can read more about his recovery from a button battery injury here,here, and […]

    Button Battery Hazard – ivalueSafety - December 23, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Leave a Comment